socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I operate a boarding stable in Iowa. I have many horses from

I operate a boarding stable in Iowa. I have many horses from the same owner in which her account is in arrears by thousands of dollars. I was hoping to cut my losses and move on. However, I now know I need to collect. I still have all her horses and her dates of removal keeps changing. These are registered horses of a breed that is not well accepted in this area. The Iowa law says I have a lein on them and can sell them. However do I have to sell them at public auction? The law says "May" sell at auction. I would prefer to attempt to get the registration papers and sell them privatly. I can barely afford to keep these horses anymore every penny has to go for feed. I only have a verbal contract with her. Dumb I know, but we were friends.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Under Iowa Code §579.2, you may only satisfy the lien by selling the stock at public auction. However, if the owner consents to a private sale, then that consent would give you the "power of sale" necessary to avoid the statutory requirements.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.