Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

We built a house and closed on our construction loan about

We built a house and closed on our construction loan about 15 months ago. Today, 18 months after work was completed, we received an invoice for our flooring, carpet, tile. Is there a time line they should have sent us an invoice? With all of the commotion of building, etc. it never occurred to us we didn't receive that invoice and thought everything was paid and loan is closed on and now have a $6800 bill due in 30 days. Any advice is appreciated.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, WI has a 6 year statute of limitations to file claims on an open account and the vendor has the right to file this bill with you now. You should send the vendor a letter informing them that you will require terms to pay this bill since they have chosen to wait until after you closed out your construction loan to bill you. However, if this were to go to court, the courts would still hold you liable to pay based on the fact that the work was done.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.