Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I, Marilyn Mattson, was in a car accident in Concord, Califo

Customer Question

I, Marilyn , was in a car accident in Concord, California, on August 12, 2008 at 7:35 pm 9 (dusk). My 1994 Ford Probe was totaled in the accident. I was at fault. I was blinded by the sun in my eyes at sunset so that I did not see the red traffic signal above me.   Tow rrived immediately after a phone call using my AAA card. I signed the towing paperwork and told the driver I did not wish to store the vehicle and said it was a total loss. I went to the DMV and filed the Release of Liability Form and the car was removed from the records. Months later I received a letter from Credit Bureau Associates, P.O. Box 150, Fairfield, CA 94533, the collection company that I owed $3,700 in storage charges. I sent a letter to deny the charges to the towing company but it was never answered. I did move from so I believe letters to me possibly were lost in the mail. Is there any way I can get out of paying for the storage charges? Please advise me my rights.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If you notified them that you did not wish to have it stored and you filed your claim with your insurer, then you should do two things, one of which you already did (notify the towing company that you specifically told them you did not want it stored) and second you should notify your insurer and send them a copy of the bill and ask them to deal with it if you had comprehensive insurahce.

You may have an argument if you told them where to tow it, you cannot just tell them you do not want it stored and then give them no instructions as to what to do with the car. If once you filed all of the paperwork, you notified them where to dispose of it, then you could argue you are not liable. If you told them to tow it to your home, then you are not liable, but if you did not give them any instructions on what to do with the car, you may be liable to pay the bill.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.