Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations

I started a business (small Pizzeria) in Jan 2007 and now

Customer Question

I started a business (small Pizzeria) in Jan 2007 and now the NYS Department of Sales Tax wants to audit me for the period of 2005- 2008. Am I liable for the years prior to the time I filed for my business?I have no idea who was in the establishement prior to me renting the building. I completely dealt with the lanlord when I rented the building. Help?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

You are only liable back to when you first started operating the business - nothing before then regardless if someone else was operating the same business in the same location.

Did you file for licensing when you first opened?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes... I went to a lawyer and I have my filing receipt for the new corp which was filed February 2007. How can they audit me for years I was not even there? The landlord told me the person before me ran the a pizzeria out of that location but the place was closed for 6 months before I rented it.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

They can ask and obviuosly you don't have any information prior to when you started your business and therefore can't supply them with information as they requested.

You just have to inform them of when your business started, show them the lease, the corporation filings, and your records. You are only liable back to when you started your business.

The fact that the prior business may have operated illegally is not your concern nor problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome!!