Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations

I have an internet business on ebay as well as an off ebay

I have an internet business on ebay as well as an off ebay internet business using the same nameCustomercom. I live in new Jersey and started the business at the start of Jan 2008. I am the sole owner of this business. Do I need a trade name certificate and Fein# XXXXX order to run the business as well as file my taxes? I looked at some web sites and it seems that I must file for a Trade Name Certificate in NJ. And, since I never filed for a Fein# XXXXX Trade Name last year will I get in trouble?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

Yes, you need to get an EIN# XXXXX this is easily done on the internet.

Yes, you will need to register your business because you are not operating under your name but a fictious name.

No, you won't get in trouble - just file for the information now and use that information when filing your taxes. You haven't yet filed taxes for the business so this is reletively easy and no real violations occurred.