FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I am currently self employed and have my business out of my

I am currently self employed and have my business out of my home. I am an advertising agency, everything we do is of intellictual property nature. I have a renters lease that I have had with the same owner/landlord for 6 years, I have always paid my rent on time and have never had one problem with the property or the ownber/landlord in 6 years. Last month the owner turned all of his housing properties over to a property management company. druing my first meeting with the Property management company owner, it was totally obvious that the new property company owner, did not like successful business women, as I live in a small town in Texas. He made it very clear that "I reported to him now with any concerns and the rent regarding the property. He served me with a notice of non renewal and told me vacate in a month. What are my rights as the tenant and business owner since we my business now has to be moved. can I demand moving expenses? What are my rights in this situation?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 5 years ago.

I can assist you.

When does your lease terminate. Does it have a renewal option?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I have been int house since 2002 and it went month to month ins 2003. It is now 2009 and I have never had a problem with the owner in the 6 years I have been here. as I stated the property management owner is a good old boy and I guess has decided to not inform the owner not to renew my lease. However like I stated I have my entire business out of my home and already have the entire month of Jan 09 booked with travel and bususiness, there if now way I can move in 30 days since I received this non renewal notice.. can I demand moving expenses for my business?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Unfortunately a month to month lease can be terminated on 30 days notice. This is all the law provides that a month to month tenant is entitled to. You would not be entitled to moving or any other expenses due to the termination.

Consider that the new property manager may want to maximize his profits by encouraging you to sign a term lease at a higher rent.

If you are unable to negotiate a new lease with the property manager, note that a notice of termination is not an eviction. If you refuse to leave, he will need to file an action to dispossess you.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I had another quick question in regards XXXXX XXXXX of business due to having to move in 30 days. Do I have any claim at all here? As I know this non renewal notice is stickly personal due to the fact the property managment owner doesn't like me.

Also since I have been paying my rent with my business checks, and the owner was aware that I had my business out of my home, is this not a contract for a business lease as well, since he contiued to accept my rent under these circumstatnces?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Unfortunately even if we disregard the residential aspect of the lease and consider it an entirely a business lease, my answer still stands. A month to month lease is terminable at will with thirty days notice. No compensation is required. It appears that the agent is adhering to the law.

So sorry.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

FiveStarLaw, Attorney