Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

my husband died and left no will. What he did leave was a

Customer Question

my husband died and left no will. What he did leave was a business in a corporation with our summer house in the business name. He has no other assets. What can I do to take over the corporation and sell the home and take care of the taxes.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Nancy Delain replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

By using this forum and/or clicking ACCEPT, you expressly acknowledge that any information I may give in response to your question in this forum does not constitute legal advice; there is no attorney-client relationship between us; and all questions and answers are visible to the whole world, including your opponent, and any information provided is therefore not confidential. Because of the public nature of this forum, by posting anything here you waive irrevocably any and all claim to confidentiality or privilege as to the content posted. Please post only that information that you are willing for your opponent to see and use against you if this matter goes to court. Any money you may give me in response to this posting (which may include both your agreed-on sum and any bonus payment) is a gift of gratitude, and is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, attorney's fees. For more information about your matter, you should consult with an attorney of your choice in a traditional face-to-face or telephonic meeting.

I am so sorry to hear of your husband's death, especially since he left no will. This just makes things harder for his survivors, especially you.

I need to know a little bit about this situation before I can answer your question with any degree of reasonableness. First, I note that you have located the corporation's paperwork (good first step, that). Please take a look at that paperwork and tell me two things:

1. Is this an S-corporation or a C-corporation (if it is an S-corporation, IRS form 2553 should be included in the paperwork)?

2. Is there a partner out there somewhere, or was your husband the sole owner of the corporation? The record of shares issued will tell you this. Don't assume that you know; please look at the record of shares issued and respond from there.

3. Obviously, you're on the list of people who would have been named as heirs in his will. Is there anyone else who would reasonably stand to inherit from your husband (his children, his siblings, his parents, ...)