Nancy Delain
Nancy Delain, Attorney
Experience:  Registered Patent Attorney (1/2005); Attorney at Law (1/2004); M.S., Tech Writing (5/1981)
12446316

We own a business in Harford County, rent the building. I am

We own a business in Harford County, rent the building. I am back on the rent by 3 months, if the landlord gives me notice to get out of the building, how long would i have to exit? I have a buyer interested in the business and the sale should be final at the end of January. Would i have enough time?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Nancy Delain replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

By using this forum and/or clicking ACCEPT, you expressly acknowledge that any information I may give in response to your question in this forum does not constitute legal advice; there is no attorney-client relationship between us; and all questions and answers are visible to the whole world, including your opponent, and any information provided is therefore not confidential. Because of the public nature of this forum, by posting anything here you waive irrevocably any and all claim to confidentiality or privilege as to the content posted. Please post only that information that you are willing for your opponent to see and use against you if this matter goes to court. Any money you may give me in response to this posting (which may include both your agreed-on sum and any bonus payment) is a gift of gratitude, and is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, attorney's fees. For more information about your matter, you should consult with an attorney of your choice in a traditional face-to-face or telephonic meeting.

The eviction notice would tell you exactly how long you have to leave the premises, but it's rarely more than 30 days; very often, it's much, much less than that.

Before the eviction notice comes, you might try calling the landlord to explain that a buyer is interested in the business and you plan to pay your back rent out of the proceeds of that sale which you expect to occur by the end of January. Ask the landlord to hold off on eviction proceedings based on that pending sale. Then keep the landlord informed of any changes to the sale dates, and certainly tell him/her if the sale falls through and fails to close.

Eviction is a nasty process for landlords, too, so if you can help your landlord avoid evicting you in this way, it is likely still possible for you to leave under at least somewhat pleasant terms.

Good luck; I'll keep my fingers crossed that your business sale goes through for you.

If I have answered your question, please click on ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my answer. If you have constructive comments about my response to you, please click on the Feedback link above and leave feedback for me; if you are satisfied with my response, please leave positive feedback even if you don't leave a comment. Remember that you are leaving feedback for the quality of my help to you, not for Just Answer's policies or billings (I have no control over JA, especially not over their billing of customers; I just control what I have written). If questions linger, please hit REPLY to let me know how I can help you further.
Nancy Delain, Attorney
Experience: Registered Patent Attorney (1/2005); Attorney at Law (1/2004); M.S., Tech Writing (5/1981)