How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PABizLawyer Your Own Question
PABizLawyer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1170
Experience:  JD, 10+ years experience, business owner
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
PABizLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a business with a partner and I am interested in getting

Customer Question

I own a business with a partner and I am interested in getting out of the LLC. I have taken a home equity loan on my house for the business and have put lots of my own money in. What are my options to leave and what am I entitled to for compensation. We purchased property and have a good amount of inventory
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  PABizLawyer replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a partnership / shareholder agreement? And if so, does it have provisions for getting out?
Expert:  Contract Law replied 7 years ago.

If you have an LLC Operating Agreement, then it should specify how to dissolve the LLC or how to 'buy out' one manager/member.


Are you a member, manager or managing member? Do you keep separate books for the LLC accounting?


Have you kept track of each other's contributions to the LLC? Did you have loan/note agreements for the contributions (suggested, but not too many people do it) or did you just contribute the money to the LLC bank account or creditors?


The answers to these questions will best determine how to answer your particular concern.


To protect yourself, you could file a UCC-1 form with the state that you are registered with. This is a form that details what a business owes you based on a contract, services or other actions you did for them. It requires that you have proof of what is owed to you, signed by the managers/directors/officers of the Company.


As I stated, I need to know a little more before I can give concrete advice. However,

based on the minimal information already, here are some options:


(1) Have the other manager(s) of the LLC sign a document detailing what you have put into the LLC and what you are to be paid upon termination and have them buy you out.


(2) If you do not have an operating agreement, check with your Secretary of State website and get the particular laws governing LLCs in Virginia. The laws should specify what the 'standard' terms of an LLC agreement are and which will be imposed if an Operating Agreement is not executed. My guess would be that they do not have a 'buy out' provision.


(3) Have an Operating Agreement with termination provisions executed by all Managers and then execute the termination process.


(4) You could sue the LLC for your contributions back, however if the LLC is bankrupt or insolvent, then the other manager(s) are only liable for what they have in the LLC. This is not a good option.


If you provide more information, I could better explain your options.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess what I really wanted to do is sell my share of the business to either my partner or to someone else. The business is not bankrupt but doesnt have enough money to buy me out at this time and I dont want to just shu it down and sell everything. I cant find our opperating agreement. What do we do about the real estate and the home equity line on my house? This should help me out if you can answer this. Thanks
Expert:  PABizLawyer replied 7 years ago.

The operating agreement controls most of what you are asking so you must find it or get another copy!


It may not allow for you to sell your share, or limit who and how... It may also give your partner a long period of time to complete a buyout on installments...


As for the real estate and encumbrance on you home, these debts would have to be satisfied. The bank could careless where the money comes from, but they won't release you until those are paid! And if the business doesn't have enough money, or becomes insolvent, then you maybe stuck paying them off!


You really need to go see a local business lawyer, as your case will require you move carefully to protect yourself given the debt situation. You can find lawyers at (use the matching links), or use the yellow pages. If you had a lawyer on the LLC, you might want to get someone else if they also helped your "partner".




PABizLawyer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1170
Experience: JD, 10+ years experience, business owner
PABizLawyer and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Contract Law replied 7 years ago.

What the other expert is telling you is correct. You must find or get a copy of the Operating Agreement as this will spell out any restrictions on the transfer of interests in the LLC.


As for the real estate, you could have the LLC provide you a mortgage on the real estate (if allowed by the Operating Agreement), but if there is already a mortgage on it you will be in 2nd position and if there is not enough money and you foreclose on it, you will take it subject to the first.


The note on your house is independent of the LLC, regardless of what you used the money for it is a separate contract between you and the mortgage company. Unfortunately, based on what you stated the condition of the LLC is, the LLC will not be able to support paying your equity line and you will have to pay it off. The good news is that if you invested in the LLC with the money, you can ask your accountant if the payments to pay it off (interest payments) can be considered an investment expense and how you should treat the principle amount.


If you have additional comments or questions, you should consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Dimitry K., Esq.

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
  • MShore Law's Avatar

    MShore Law


    Satisfied Customers:

    Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
  • RGMacEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years practicing attorney, MBA
  • J.Hazelbaker's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
  • MDLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
  • J. Warren's Avatar

    J. Warren


    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.

Related Business Law Questions