Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

My husband owns a auto mechanic shop. We have a few people

Customer Question

My husband owns a auto mechanic shop. We have a few people that doesn't think they have to pay their bill. What legal avenues do I have to try and recoupe this money?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
You can talk to the local police and see if they would be willing to pursue charges for "theft of service" but it is unlikely they will assist under the facts you've set out.

The first thing you should do is invest in a lawyer to draw up a form contract for payment every time you start work on a car. The contract should include language that establishes a "mechanics lien" on the vehicle and allows you to hold the car until payment is made.

You can also use a collection agency to collect the debt, although their success rate isn't very high, particularly in today's economy.

The only other solution that you have is to file suit, either by yourself or through the use of an attorney. In the situation you describe you can take that person back to court and state that they breached two contracts, the first one when they didn't pay initially and the second one when the reneged on the payment arrangement. If you decide to use an attorney those fees are recoverable in a breach of contract case.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.