dkennedy
dkennedy, Attorney
Experience:  JD degree, business owner
5930486

What are the legal obligations and requirements to make and

What are the legal obligations and requirements to make and sell gourmet dog treats from home in the state of California?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Without narrowing it down, here is an example of the laws and regulations that may be involved:

Whenever you have a home based business with any type of food, you will need to meet your city ordinaces as far as: zoning, parking, etc. You may be able to sell online, but customers coming to your house may be against the zoning laws.

You must meet the state local health laws concerning preparation of food of any type in your home. Usually there will be some requirements about the equipment, keeping the food prep area separate from living quarters, etc. This will require a permit from the Health department.

As for your business, you will have to make sure you don't use a trademarked name. You will have to check your local rules about business licenses and sales tax permit.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Why would I not want to use my trade name? I wanted to sell the cookies at dog shows and over the internet. Do the same rules apply? Also, I am in the process of opening up a doggie day care business and wanted to bring them to the store to sell there.