N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

We have a judgement for $4,000 from a printing company against

We have a judgement for $4,000 from a printing company against our business. I just received a "Hearing Notice" for "Motion for Turnover Order" Hearing.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
A turnover order is an order directing someone to turn over property to the Sheriff or the judgment creditor. It is a way to enforce a judgment. It can cover many situations.

For example, if the judgment debtor holds a mortgage and gets monthly payments, the judgment debtor's debtor can be ordered to make the mortgage payments to the judgment creditor and the judgment debtor can be ordered to turn over the actual mortgage to the creditor (so he cannot sell the mortgage until after the judgment is paid).

If someone owed money to the judgment debtor, they can be ordered to turn over money to the judgment creditor. Since you are the judgment debtor, you can be ordered to turn over money or other property to the judgment creditor. Do not wear jewelry to the hearing, as you can be ordered to turn over any cash or property to the creditor at such hearings.

http://www.peopleslawyer.net/smallclaims/afterwin.html states: Finally, there is a device called a "turn-over order." This permits the judge to order the person to turn over non-exempt property to you to satisfy the judgment. For example, if you know the person you sued is receiving a large sum of money from a construction job he is just completing, you can use a turn-over order to have the court order him to pay some of that money to you.

http://www.texas-opinions.com/law-turnover-order.html has a couple of Texas cases that discuss such orders.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you.
Thank you for accepting my answer.