Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Is there a legal form recognized by Texas for deposing a Plaintiff,

Is there a legal form recognized by Texas for deposing a Plaintiff, that is out of state, by telephone as opposed to traveling to California from Texas? Does it have to be done by agreement between Plaintiff and Defendant or is there a statute in Texas that allows a Defendant to depose Plaintiff's employee that is domiciled in California. The lawsuit is governed by Texas law and venue is in Dallas County.
Deposing a plaintiff by phone in another state must be done by agreement of the parties, including the deponent, or order of the court. If not, one must apply to the court in Texas for "Letters Rogatory" which is asking for the Texas court to ask the CA court for their issuance of a subpoena to take the deposition in CA under the CA laws.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.