Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

My company is licensing content to a tech firm who will incorporate

My company is licensing content to a tech firm who will incorporate it into a particular application. If that tech firm is bought by another company, how can I make sure the new owner will honor the terms of the agreement?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
In your licensing agreement you can specify that if the firm is sold the licensing fees are transferred to and the responsibility of the heirs, assigns, transferrees, successors or purchasers of the firm and any heirs, assigns, transferrees, successors or purchasers in the future.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can you tell me what section/heading of the agreement this would fall under? Term and Termination? Right now, the subheads under that section include term, temination for breach, termination for convenience, and effect of termination.
It would fall under terms of licensing. When you grant a license you can specify the terms under which the person has the right to use the product being licensed and you can set this as one of the terms.