Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Our homeowners association documents state for electing members

Our homeowners association documents state for electing members to an architectural committee "the then members of the Association shall have the power upon a majority vote of the members present of a duly constituted meeting of the Association". One member feels that since it says "duly constituted" a qrorum must be present. A quorum is defined as 1/4 members "except as otherwise provided in the Declaration, Articles of Incorporation or these ByLaws". Does this mean that we do not have to have 1/4 of members present for a meeting that has been properly advertised?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A quorum is required. There cannot be a duly constituted meeting without a quorum.

The quorum can typically be by proxy or by attendance at the meeting.

An action without a quorum would not be permissible and could result in liability to the association.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE