Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

A partner in your business begins working with another company

A partner in your business begins working with another company without your knowledege and drives your customers to the other business by making untrue statements. Is there a legal term for this?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

An action for tortious interference with business contract, breach of fiduciary duty and defamation could be brought against the partner.

To establish a prima facie claim for tortious interference with contract, you must show the existence of a valid contractual relationship or business expectancy; the interferer's knowledge of the relationship or expectancy; intentional interference inducing or causing a breach or termination of the relationship or expectancy; and resultant damage to the party whose relationship or expectancy has been disrupted.

Defamation basically consists of: (1) a false statement of fact about another; (2) an unprivileged publication of that statement to a third party; (3) some degree of fault, depending on the type of case; and (4) some harm or damage.

Libel is defamation by the printed word and slander is defamation by the spoken word.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE