I was asked to perform work by an out of state general contractor.

I was asked to perform work by an out of state general contractor. The work is complete and the general is with holding any payment due to a rumor that i was not paying my employees. The only thing between me and my payroll is payment from the contractor. The contractor has over step his boundries by policing the way i run my business. the employees are upset they are not getting paid.
what is your question?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does the general contractor have any right to dictate how i run my business beyond our conduct onsite? Do they have any right to with hold payment for services rendered due to untrue rumors. The contractor has no problem with the work performed. The contract is with my business and the general thinks they can issue checks to my employees under its payroll. They think they can withhold payment to my business until they recieve proof that my employees are paid. My payroll company has issued the checks but will not rlease them until i pay them and I cannot pay my payroll company until I get paid on my invoice.
You are in the right and they are in the wrong especially where it is their default that is hurting you from paying your workers.