Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Can you advise if i purchase a car from a dealer ship and it

Can you advise if i purchase a car from a dealer ship and it is damaged and they want to give me a new one but want to charge me extra - is it legal to say I do not want the car if it has been less than 72 hours - I don't want to feel trapped if it is not the car I signed for and i don't want to be bullied into paying more for the vehicle when the damage is not my fault
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If you purchase a new car from a dealer and it was damaged upon your receipt then they are liable to either repair the damage or replace it, but it is their choice. There is no 3 day right to recission (cooling off period) for these types of sales, it is more of a myth. It is only available for sales that take place away from the place of business or for door to door type sales.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.