CTLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  over 15 years business and real estate law experience

I have a customer who wont pay his bill for work completed.

Customer Question

I have a customer who wont pay his bill for work completed. The proposal and invoice clearly states payment is due upon completion of work. I am invoicing my customer again and this time with a due date. If the payment is not made in full by the date I have set forth I want to  charge them late fees and intrest for the amount due from the time due to the time collected. How much can I legally charge. Do I charge by day, week or month. Also I will be adding these notes to the invoice that they will inccur all collection and legal fees as well as intrest and late fees if need to send this to collection or small claims.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
On bills such as this, there really is no limit on interest and late charges, the usury laws apply to loans and set judicial and maximum interest on loans. You generally charge simple interest per your standard billing period, meaning if you have 30 day billing you charge the interest each billing cycle. If this is for construction work, you can also file a lien on the home or business property. As long as the interest rate is reasonable and customary in the industry (I normally have seen and used 20%-25%).

It is fine to also put on there they will be liable for any attorney's and collection fees if they fail to pay. You should also have that in your actual contracts and you should modify them to say this as well as designate the interests charges and penalties for late payments.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont bill monthly, All my jobs are due upon completion so what would be reasonable amount for late fees and intrest. Should I charge daily, weekly or what, and yes I am in contracting. Im in New York State if this is any help to you for my answer
I am going to refer you to a collegue for further assistance.
Expert:  CTLawyer replied 7 years ago.
The late charge is supposed to relate to the amount of time, incovenience, etc. incurred as a result of rebilling, paperwork and the like. It cannot be out of relation to the original invoice either. So I would suggest something on the $25 to $45 range depending on the amount your invoices are typically. As to interest on late accounts, the usury rate in New York is 16% and even if usury does not apply to an open account situation like this, I would stick to the usury limit to avoid any issues. The interest would be an annual rate, usually billed monthly (16% of the balance, 1/12th of that added to the bill, then rebilled).