Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

If we have a judgement for nonpayment of note against an LLC

If we have a judgement for nonpayment of note against an LLC in Louisiana can we attach property and checking accounts of other business that the LLC has an ownership interest in? We have a judgement debtor exam scheduled in about 30 days.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You cannot attach businesses and accounts that the LLC has interest in unless you are able to pierce the corporate veil by showing that the LLC is merely an alter ego for these other businesses. Each LLC and corporation is considered a separate entity and liable for their own suits and debts. It is only when the LLC or corporation is shown to be the alter ego that the court will allow the corporate veil to be pierced such to allow you to get at the other business or companies and this is done by showing same management and employees, comingling of assets, insufficient funding, mixing of funds with the other entities, not following proper corporate proceedures (annual meetings etc) and a host of other factors. Now, what you can attach is any profits or proceeds the LLC is receiving from these other entities (receivables) which are property of the LLC.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.