INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

We were In Small Claims Court yesterday seeking recompense

We were In Small Claims Court yesterday seeking recompense from the party who would not pay the agreed amount for money we had spent on attorney fees. This was in regards XXXXX XXXXX Settlement Agreement agreed to by both parties at mediation. There were three versions of that Agreement and none of the parties had signed one document. Therefore, we sought legal counsel to see if there was a binding Agreement and when that attorney said the Agreement was binding, we sought counsel to force the other party to pay the agreed amount. The judge ruled that in Kansas the statute denies collection of attorney fees. Should we appeal or was the decision correct?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
Legal fees are not normally granted even when there is an agreement signed by all sides. here you dont have that so best not to waste time and money on an issue that falls within judge's discretion anyway
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I just wanted a second opinion.
You welcome. if you havent yet, kindly accept my answer. Take care.