Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

Having difficulty getting straight answers from insurance agents.

Having difficulty getting straight answers from insurance agents.   I have a small art business, selling my work at festivals. I travel to art shows with my art work in a large cargo trailer. I work out of my home in a detatched work shop . Agent #1 says the same insurance co. must carry my truck, trailer and business insurance. My homeowners (different co.) covers all structures but does not cover contents of shop. Agent #2 says business and auto can be a seperate co. and is lumping homeowners and auto together and keeping business a seperate co.. I want to be sure that the contents of my trailer (all my art work) is covered. My auto policy covering my truck, pulling a business trailer insured by my auto policy with business contents. Who is covering what. If a claim is made, could there be a dispute over which company is responsible or perhaps something is not covered because it was improperly insured? Ideally same co for all three. Because I have a log home, limited choice
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
Anytime you have more than one insurance company you can expect problems if a claim is made. The best thing to do is be very explicit with your agent as to what you want and put it in writing. If you accept their recommendations also be sure the agent carries Errors and Omissions insurance in the event they make a mistake.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was hoping I could learn more about how insurance coverage works. What is possible and if I'm getting straight answers from either agent. I have tried for years to get things in writing. They tell you they are looking into it and it never happens. You simply never hear from them, no matter how many emails or phone calls. I can't get it in writing that I have LOG home coverage, just assured it's so and that there is no specific designation for a log home. I can't get my tractor in writing. Just assured it's covered so long as I'm using it for home use. So I was hoping I'd get an answer specifically from the insurance law expert. I've been working since mid August to get straight answers and policy changes from Agent #1 and since mid Oct. for potential Agent #2. I'm beginning to believe any of them either know, care to find out or are honest about how you are really covered.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
The problem with one of us answering it is that it all depends on the policy and contract language.

Insurance policies are extremely complex and are covered not only by the language of the policy, but also the laws of the state. For instance, in Texas the insruance companies have a provision in the automobile policies that isn't effective in Texas. The courts and insurance commissioner have all determined that it is "against public policy" yet it still remains in the language.

The best way to be sure you are covered is to put everything in writing, send it to the agent and insurance company by CMRRR so that you have proof they received it, and only use agents who have errors and omissions insurance themselves.

Typically, all of your items would be covered by at least one of the insurance policies you discussed. However, if you have multiple insurance policies with multiple companies and one of them has a chance to shift the burden to another one you can bet they are going to try to do that. In addition, some policies exclude coverage on personal policies for incidents which occur during "business use". Whether your art would be considered business or personal depends on a lot of facts, but it is certainly something that needs to be addressed specifically, if not in the actual policy language at least in some manner.