mdmlaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 in general practice representing companies, suppliers, employees

Is it okay to open a business bank account in Messachusetts

Is it okay to open a business bank account in Messachusetts of my Washington LLC? I read an article that having a business bank account determins "doing a business" in that state and requires additional registration with the state. But some people say a bank account is nothing to do with a physical presence of an LLC.

Dear pjj:

I reviewed the case law in Massachusetts. Merely maintaining a bank account in Massachusetts does not provide sufficient "minimum contacts" in Massachusetts to make you subject to the Massachusetts jurisdiction. So, you should not have to register with the state.

Hope this helps.