socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

if you have a contract with some one and you have already have

if you have a contract with some one and you have already have worked 3 weeks on the job and the foreman will not finish installing the tyveck paper and some wood that needs to be installed , how long by law am I suppose to wait for them . I've already been wating 3 weeks for this foreman.We install vinyl siding and trim work , we only need 2 more days to finish the job
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

There is no statutory time period. If your contract doesn't state times for completion, then a court would attempt to find a "reasonable" time. So, it would be up to you to show the court why the amount of time involved was unreasonable.

The legal action is called "breach of the implied covenant of good faith," which means that the other party is wrongfully preventing you from obtaining the benefit of the bargain, in this case, payment for your work upon completion. Your damages would be payment for the job, whether completed or not, or alternatively, an order that the contractor permit you to complete the job.

Depending upon how much money is at stake, you could sue in small claims court. But, if it's a lot of dough, then you will probably need a lawyer and litigation costs could get very expensive for everyone rather quickly.

You may want to consider hiring an attorney to contact the general contractor and "explain" things. Sometimes that can get the wheels turning.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.