Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

What are the main Federal and State laws that apply to small

Customer Question

What are the main Federal and State laws that apply to small businesses regarding employment law?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
There are a wide array of laws applying to small businesses, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (minimum wage and payment of overtime for hours worked over 40) and the laws pertaining to the payment of workers compensation and unemployment insurance. If your business has 15+ employees, then you are also subject to the various anti-discrimination laws, such as sex discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you have 50+ employees then you are also subjected to the Family and Medical Leave Act, which grants employees who have been employed with you for 12 consecutive months and have worked at least 1250 hours in that time, 12 weeks for any qualified illness and you must reinstate them after that time.

Because there are numerous lesser laws pertaining to businesses and because the above laws are fairly lengthy that the amount of information will not fit in this forum, if you have some specific questions I would be willing to assist further.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.