INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

A contractor wont pay sub-contractor for job completed. Will

A contractor won't pay sub-contractor for job completed. Will not even return calls. The building where the work was done is a NYS owned facility. Where do we go to get help?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
Are you asking on behalf of the contractor? subcontractor? customer? what do you want to do?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am asking for my husband who was hired to do flooring by one of the contractors. We want to get paid. Is he the only one liable to pay? What are we supposed to do if he won't even answer his phone. Putting a mechanics lien on the property won't affect this guy...it's a NYS owned building. It is my understanding this guy "George" from Cairo LLC was hired by Volmar Construction. George hired my husband. These two businesses are based out of Brooklyn. We are in upstate...hours away.
You should sue the contractor for the amount due to you and can place a lien on the owner's home although some contactors dont do that for the pressure elements because its bad for business. Litigation is the best route to go after the party responsible under contract seeking balance, costs, interest