socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

We are a non-profit organization. Can we legally own property

We are a non-profit organization. Can we legally own property with homes on them and then rent the homes to anyone? We are in Ohio.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Springfield, Ohio

Already Tried:
I formed a corporation called New Neighbors 4U. I went to purchase property to rent out. The realtor said because we are non-profit we couldn't purchase a house to rent to anyone. We also serve individuals that currently live in homes that are owned by a non-profit organization. This organization keeps increasing the rent on these residents.

Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

That's silly. A non-profit can own real property, and can rent it. It just can distribute profits to members. That's the difference between a for profit and a non profit.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.