Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

Im filling out my sales and use tax return and had a

Customer Question

I''m filling out my sales and use tax return and had a question on total gross sales and purchases subject to use tax. I''m a designer and buy items for my clients at to the trade prices, I mark them up and add the tax and freight. The question is; are those amounts my gross sales or is it my net pricing before tax? Does this make sense and can somebody help me out with this?                   Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Beach, Ca
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
The gross sales would be the amount before freight and tax, assuming you don't mark these up at all and they are straight pay throughs.

You probably need to verify this with an accountant just to be sure, but in a legal sense this is correct.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just to completely understand your answer, the gross sales is the amount before tax and freight. In the design biz tax and freight are straight costs on top of the marked up price. So is my gross the before or after marked up price?
Thanks so much for your time in answering this for me.
Tracy
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
I'm getting confused so let me restate.

Your gross would be the total amount of your sales (including any mark up) but would not include your freight and tax.

However, some accounting practices may include this in your gross although it really isn't.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I greatly appreciate it and will definitely use this site again and throw some more questions your way.
Thanks again Texas Atty,
Tracy
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the biz.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
Out of curiosity how did you find the wesite?