Business lawyer
Business lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Alabama. Judicial Clerk for Supreme Court of Alabama 2004-2005

I am a board member for a non-profit cat rescue and ...

I am a board member for a non-profit cat rescue and adoption group. Recently another board member was involved in a major cat rescue that did not involve our group. Using our group''s name, she proceeded to go to 4 large pet stores in the area and had them donate a minimum of $5000 worth of items (probably closer to $10.000) for these cats. She was not authorized by our group to do this and no members of our group have received any of these products. To my knowledge, the items went to another rescue group that is fostering the majority of the rescue cats. Our business advisor says this can affect our standing as a 501 (c) 3 group. This person was dismissed from our group in the midst of this (we had no knowledge of this at the time and it was not the reason for her dismissal), and we think that at least one of these pick ups was one after she was dismissed. Can we file legal charges against her and another former member who was aware that this was happening?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Business lawyer replied 8 years ago.
Yes. She misappropriated your name, trademarks and business good will in runnning this illicit promotion. You can sue for a variety of things, including trademark violations and interference with your non-profit's business relationships, not to mention fraud. You need to contact an attorney in your area and file suit immeidately.