All Business
All Business, Attorney
Experience:  27 years of business experience with accounting and law degrees

My wife and I have started a new business. We chose the ...

My wife and I have started a new business. We chose the name "Something Creative by BLS". On July 3rd we received a certified letter from the attorney for Creative Event Rentals, Inc. demanding that we cease and desist from using the "Something Creative by BLS" or any version utilising the term "creative". They claim we are being deceptive and trying to benefit by their good name and reputation. They want us to confirm within 10 days from the receipt of the letter that we will not use our company name. They say they are prepared to take whatever steps are necessary to protect their rights. What do I need to do? Thanks!

thanks for the question.

the name you selected appears to be totally different than the one they are using and their demand seems to be outrageous on its face. i am assuming there is nothing else going on here.

on top of the foregoing, they can not prevent people from using a common word such as creative and i would be of the opinion that they have no claim and you should withstand their demands.

when speaking to them you might weant to take the position that you, too, will take whatever steps are necessary and in so doing you may want to get your attorney on board to perhaps write a stern lawyers letter and otherwise let them know you are serious.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to All Business's Post: That is what we are going to do. If they take this further and try to damage us in any way, are we entitled to damages and or attorney fee's?
you can defend yourself and make any claims that you deem appropriate. you can seek attroneys fees and any damages that they attempt to cause.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are you able to write the letter for us? We haven't retained and attorney yet. We live in Arizona. Thanks.
i am not allowed to undertake direct services from this site. i am sorry.