Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am familiar with this area of law.

Business email account & yahoo email account

Customer Question

I started a job with a company in California in Janurary. A manager of the company opened a Yahoo email account for me (something like: "XXXXX at", and the account is indeed under my name) and then added a business email account to this account (something like:[email protected] -- because that company uses Yahoo Small Business Email service). From then on, I have always been using "XXXXX at" as my personal email address for many private communications and using "XXXXX at" for business-related emails. I also added my credit card info and my domain name to this Yahoo account. 3 days ago I resigned from this job, and have still been using my "XXXXX at" email account. But today I can no longer login and realized that my former employer also had the password XXXXX they must have changed it and also changed the relevant profile info so that I can''t even retrieve my password. So, how can re-claim my "XXXXX at" account?

Thanks a lot!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, you may not be entitled to claim your Yahoo account unless you and your company can come to an agreement. For a company to use Yahoo Small Business Email service, there is a fee attached. If your company is paying the fee, then it stands to reason that they own the account. Furthermore, if they have created a regular Yahoo account which is tied to the Business account, then that account may belong to the company. However, if the company is not willing to sever the business account from the personal account, there may not be a lot you can do about it. If the account was created by the company, then they may be entitled to retain the account.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Kat,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, my Yahoo account does belong to me and I already got it back. As Yahoo clarified to me, the Yahoo account is two-level structure: 1) the Yahoo ID; 2) under Yahoo ID, two emails account: (a) me at -- I'm paying for it; (b) me at - that company is paying for it. My Yahoo ID is under my name, having my personal info and my credit card numbers -- it belongs to me. 2(a) also belongs to me -- as I am paying for Yahoo's Premium email service by myself. 2(b) does not belong to me -- that company can add/delete that email account 2(b) at their will thru their Small Business Account Control Panel -- it is totally different from my Yahoo Control Panel.
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.
If you are paying for it, then by all means it belongs to you and can be severed. However, if the ID was created as part of the business account for which your employer was financially responsible, then it would not be yours. I apologize,
I did not realize you were paying for the premium e-mail service.