Anne_C
Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience
7775950

I was recently sent a Cashiers Ceck in the amount of $4000 ...

I was recently sent a Cashiers Ceck in the amount of $4000 from a co. called IMEX, Inc. & asked to cash & send the money to an address in Kosovo. Is this company legit & would or can i be prosecuted for doing this?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

• Were you initially contacted about this cashier's check by e-mail?
  • Had you heard of the company before?
  • Are you being offered a percentage of the cashier's check (like 10%) for your services?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anne_C's Post: I was contacted online by a person who claims this is her paycheck. I received the check by UPS from IMEX, inc. no, i'd never heard of them nor was i ever contacted by them for any reason. The person requesting i cash it & send it to an address never mentioned the company either.No, i wasn't offered any of the $4000 for doing this.
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

The situation you have described is raising a whole lot of red flags.

First of all, you were contacted online by someone. You don't say if you know her, but i would assume that if you did, you would mention it.

Second, why couldn't this person cash her own paycheck? Why wasn't she issued a check negotiable in her country? Why can't she go to a US-based bank, or Western Union, to negotiate a cashier's check?

Third, by sending the cashier's check to you by UPS, rather than US Mail, whomever sent it is avoiding postal inspector involvement.

Fourth, there is a legitimate organization called IMEX - and IMEX is active in trying to stamp out various scams. Here is their website: http://www.imex.com/scam/bankcon.html.

If you Google "Imex Scam" you will find a lot of examples of people ripped off, by people who said they were affiliated with IMEX - but weren't.

This appears to be a rip-off; you will probably negotiate the check, send the money, and a few weeks or months down the line, be contacted by your bank to repay the amount.