Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I own a small business that is set upas a corporation.

Customer Question

I own a small business that is set upas a corporation. I have been unable to meet some of the bills from my vendors over the last few months. Creditors are calling the store to collect. They are leaving all sorts of "Nasty" messages with my employees. Is there any way to get them to stop calling?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Other than by paying the bills, you cannot stop them from calling. However, they should not be leaving "nasty" or threatening messages under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Unfortunately, when a corporation is unable to pay its debts as they come due, it is insolvent and can be forced into receivership or bankruptcy and the creditors can sue to make that happen. If the creditors are calling and making threats or leaving "nasty" messages about doing things that are not within their rights, then you should see an attorney that handles Fair Debt Collection Practices matters because you can sue the debt collectors and get additional fines, penatlies and attorney's fees for their misconduct.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.