InsuranceLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  27 years litigation experience, 14,000+ lawsuits, author of 2 books and 100s of articles

I own an antique shoppe, where I rent to venders. One of ...

Customer Question

I own an antique shoppe, where I rent to venders. One of the venders chose to leave in mid Feb. 08' ( I bought the business from her and looked forwarded in her moving on) In her leaving, she left behind a chandlier. Two months later, came back to reclaim it. I was not prepared to take it down during business hours and really thought it was mine. I told her to come the next week, she never showed up. Today I recieved a phone call from her about this lamp. It is now July! I thought she abanoned it or it was mine due to the fact she took a cabinet I paid for and did not argue about it. I am so ready to stand up for what is mine. the chandilier is worth $750. and so was the cabinet.   She is a medical lawyer, and did not treat me fairly, I unfortunately did not close this business witha lawyer. Now it is cival, is the chandilier rightfully mine, what are my rights Is this abandonement. I have a policy on delayed pick up of purchased items, of $25. per day. thanks K
Category: Business Law
Expert:  InsuranceLawyer replied 8 years ago.
It sounds to me like there was never any question that it was her chandelier, so she is entitled to take it. However, you also have a claim against her for taking your cabinet, although you hurt yourself by never complaining about the cabinet. What you can do, is to tell her, she can take the chandelier if she returns your cabinet.