N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983

Got default judgement. Too late to negotiate

Customer Question

I received a default judgement in the US Dist. Ct., Central Cal. Trademark infringement case. The proposed judgement amount is an amount I can not possibly EVER satisfy. Plaintiffs atty, knows I am of no net worth. Still time to negotiate? If I don't show to court in California (I live in Illinois), what happens.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
It's never too late to negotiate. Maybe you can appeal or file a motion to set aside the default judgment. You need to talk to a a lawyer in the central district to figure out what happened and what your options are. The default judgment may or may not be valid depending on whether the court had jurisdiction and whether the complaint was legally adequate, See Falahati v. Kondo (2005) 127 Cal.App.4th 823 at