Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am familiar with this area of law.

In California, does an LLC have to use an attorney in order ...

Customer Question

In California, does an LLC have to use an attorney in order to bring sue.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

This depends on the nature of your lawsuit. Generally, a business should use an attorney to represent its interests. When a business is sued or thinking of bringing a lawsuit, the business should have an attorney representing its interests. In rare instances, a businessperson may be permitted to represent himself or herself. For example, landlords frequently appear in conciliation court without a lawyer. In the majority of cases, however, when suing or sued in a regular civil action, an LLC must be represented by counsel.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!