Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience

Hi, I work for the DOD and walked away/out of my office ...

Customer Question

Hi, I work for the DOD and walked away/out of my office for a few minutes during this time a employee walked into my office and opened one of my e-mails which contained personnel information. She then shared the information with other co-workers. What are the laws for reading other members e-mails? Thank you
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

Dear Hainesport, New Jersey:

Because you are employed by the Department of Defense, there are special regulations which probably apply to your situation, since the DOD is a government employer; and because you may be working with secured, sensitive or classified information. (Please don't provide that information; JustAnswer is a public website.)

Without knowing the particular regulations you are subject to, it appears that the employee may have violated the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, which is available here: Section 2511 prohibits the interception of electronic communications. Here is that section: