Legal Eagle Esq.
Legal Eagle Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Business / Corporate / Real Estate
10299910

I lease a commercial business in Washington DC. The ...

Customer Question

I lease a commercial business in Washington DC. The owner of the building has falsified my lease agreement and won''t accept my rent. What can I do?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle Esq. replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Assuming the lease you have is validly executed and effective then consider the following:

1) Establish an account at a local bank and deposit your monthly lease checks into this account pursuant to the terms of the validly executed lease;

2) Write landlord a letter wherein you summarize the agreement under the actual lease and provide him with a copy of the lease;
3) Notify him that his failure to receive the payment pursuant to the previously agreed upon lease will not relieve him of his continued obligations and responsibilities pursuant to the validly executed lease;
3) notify him that you have established the bank account and that you will be depositing the monthly lease payments pursuant to the terms of the lease and will forward the cash to him at such time as he is prepared to receive it. Doing so however is not grounds for him to claim breach of contract under the validly executed lease since he is not making himself available to receive payment or is otherwise rejecting payments.

In the event that he attempts to enforce provisions of the falsified lease then you will have a trail of your attempts to honor the valid lease and that you have been making payments into the bank account you established.