Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions
10033880

I am in Illinois. I own an online business. I make ...

I am in Illinois.

I own an online business. I make custom items per the specifications of each customer. I ran a special; $100 down to start your product & pay the rest when your product is completed & ready to ship.

I have a few customers that have abandoned their sale. I have called them, left voice mail messages & sent emails asking them if it is OK to charge their credit card (that I still have on file). They do not respond.

When a customer places an order online, they accept the Terms and Conditions. They can not checkout without accepting them. The Terms and Conditions state that for specials where there is a low down payment or Installment Plans (layaway), when your product completes and there is no response within 10 days of completion, your card will be charged the balance and your product will be shipped to you.

Would I be legally liable if I run their card for the balance they owe & then ship to them their product?

Thank you for contactin Just Answer.

It sounds like you are covered in your Terms and Conditions.

I suggest that you do one or two of these and see what happens before shipping them all out.

Can you make things out of any material? Just wondering.

Jane

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't understand what you mean by one or two of these things.

Do you mean charge them and then ship?

Yes, I apologize if I was unclear.

Charge/ship two of the items and carefully track what happens - as an experiment, just to make sure. It may turn out that the credit cards are no good or the addresses are no good, and I don't want you to feel overwhelmed if things were going wrong with all of the shipments at the same time.