jdhaas
jdhaas, Attorney
Experience:  23 years of business law experience
6118667

My husband recently started his rental apartment business ...

My husband recently started his rental apartment business in TN. Last Oct., a local person introduced a guy who sell the used appliances for rental business, and we bought washing machines and refridgerators which costs $900.00. Even though we completed the payment of the appliances, the guy postponed to deliver the appliances with several excuses. After six months, we left messages to refund our money since he did not deliever the appliances. Now, he is avoiding our calls and refusing payback money. He excuses that he is so busy and he is in other states, however, several times we saw him going around in the local. it seems tthat he is intentionally avoiding us. Finally my husband went his business place and request the money back. At that time, the guy suddenly came out of the building and improperly assulted my husband in the parking lot. we have medical proof and reciept of the appliances. If we suit him this issues to the court, how?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  jdhaas replied 8 years ago.
You get all the proof that you have of payment to this person and the evidence of the promised appliances. You can sue this person for breach of contract. If the amount owed is $900.00, you can sue the person in TN small claims court: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/small_tn.html

If you win, the costs of filing the case and other costs can be included in your judgment. Good luck.

I hope that I have helped you and that I have answered all of your questions. Please
ask more questions if I have not answered all of your questions.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information.
You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship, and I am not
responsible for your legal rights. The only way for us to be in an
attorney/client relationship is if you have signed a written retainer agreement
with my law firm.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your fast answer.
Actually, we sue him about being assulted improperly. Local small claim raised his hand because the parking lot was his property. Even though my husband was not doing any harmful action.(The guy is over 200 Lb and my husband is only 120 LB! He was unarmed. How he can scare the guy! it is ridiculous.) Ok. we should have sued him with breach of contract. If so, can we include the cost of medical treatment? Anything we need to prepare? Do you think we better hire local attorney? Do we need any witness?
Expert:  jdhaas replied 8 years ago.
You can sue him for breach of contract. If he assaulted your husband or committed battery you could sue him in a personal injury matter for your husband's injuries. You will probably need a TN personal injury attorney for that. You cannot recover medical treatment in the breach of contract case, but you could in the personal injury case. I suggest you contact many lawyers and select the best one for your cases.

The more witnesses that you have the better your case will be. The more independent witnsesses (not related to one side or the other) the better your case will be.

Thanks.

with my law firm.