Anne_C
Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience
7775950

If a Wal Mart employee was racist to me and my family, ...

If a Wal Mart employee was racist to me and my family, would that be legal grounds for a law suit?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more? What state are you in? When did this happen?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anne_C's Post: I was buying fishing license with my daughter and father-in-law, and discussing with the employee about how high the fishing license is. She said, "The state doesn't do a lot of things right, they let the Orientals go out there and do whatever they want, and if me and you go out there we get in trouble". I find that offensive because my daughter and father-in-law are both Thai, to include my wife who was not there. Even though I’m white she still should not have said that about my family. Immediately after the incident i filed a complaint with the Manager.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I forgot to tell you that I'm in Washington State, and it happened on monday the 2nd of June.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

Dear Washington State:

Please pardon my delay in responding to your post. I lost internet access for more than a day, and wasn't able to access my open questions.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry that you and your family had to hear this kind of remark.

The Washington State Human Rights Commission can investigate complaints of discrimination, both in employment and public accommodations; and take appropriate action against a business that engages in discrimination. Here is a link to a website explaining how the complaint process works: http://www.hum.wa.gov/complaintProcess/.

Good luck.