Anne_C
Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience
7775950

Patent question If a patent makes a claim comprised of

Patent question: If a patent makes a claim comprised of four compnents and my business process replicates three of those four, am I infringing on the patent, or must replication of each claim be present for infringement?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

That's a really broad question, and it's going to depend on how the patent was drafted and filed. It's possible that each individual process is patented; or some of the processes; or all of them, collectively. It's also going to depend on how close of a result that your process has to the patented process.

Here is a link to the US Patent and Trademark Office: http://www.uspto.gov/. Depending on the age of the patent or patents in question, that information may be available on line.

If it isn't available on-line, you should get in touch with a patent attorney to evaluate the situation for you. Patent attorneys have specialized degrees in science and pass a patent exam to qualify as patent attorneys.

I'm sorry I can't be more definite for you on this answer.