Anne_C
Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience
7775950

Sir, My company offered a Mud Engineer school that was ...

Sir, My company offered a Mud Engineer school that was given through the company by one of our employees.Two weeks into the school my company came to us with a contract stating that if we quit the company for on year after the school we were responsible to reimburse the 4000.00 for the school.but if we were terminated or layed off then we owed them nothing.It satates in the contract that the contract must be signed prior to starting the school.My question is that i have since quit before the year was up due to lack of work,do they have grounds to sue me? this is in the state of Texas.   Thank you,Steve
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more? Were you asked to leave because there wasn't enough work, or were your hours cut so that you did not have work?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes mam our hours were cut prior to me entering the school.They were coming out and saying every few weeks that we had work but we figured out they were stalling...there wasnt any work.Another thing is the way they pay...wednesday to wednesday pay week to avoid paying overtime.They kept taking hours and days worked from the hourly people.
But as i said they made us sign the contract 2 weeks after the school had began and dateed it back to the beginning.When i said i refused to sign it they said the school was mandatory and everone will have to sign this and go to the school.
Expert:  Anne_C replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like this is what happened: You work for an employer that had economic problems. The employer decided that you and the other employees needed additional schooling that would cost $4000. The employer paid for the school You started the school. Two weeks later, the employer asked you to sign an agreement that if you left employment within a year, you would repay the $4000. You did not want to sign the agreement, but your employer said that the school was mandatory. (Presumably, you would have been fired if you didn't). Therefore, you signed the agreement and completed the school. You resigned from the company later, before a year had passed, because you were not getting paid the overtime you had gotten before.

This is a complex situation. It appears that the contract that requires you to pay back your former employer would not be enforceable because (1) you started the training, and then were told that you would have to pay back the cost of the school; and (2) you signed the agreement under duress. Those would both be defenses if your former employer tried to sue you to collect the costs of the school.

If the Company is trying to collect from you now, you should have an attorney in your area review the agreement you signed. There could be additional clauses and provisions in the agreement that might affect your situation.

Anne_C, Attorney
Experience: Business litigator, 15 years' experience