Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience

I have an idea for a text competition, can I charge $1.50 ...

I have an idea for a text competition, can I charge $1.50 for the text''s entry
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is a hi-lo game with a twist, people text there bid, if they are the lowest bid, they win. prizes could be from ps3 consoles, xbox consoles plasma televisions, cars, holidays. there could be many different prizes.

regards Customer
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

You've got a couple of different things to consider: first, states regulate contests individually, so you would need to check the state laws of every state that you would be running the contest in. Some states may allow some kinds of contests; others may not allow the same contests.

To find information about state laws, in Google, type in the name of the state and then "contest laws". For example, California's Department of Consumer Affairs regulates contests in California. Here are the laws on point:

You would also need to check with the company that is providing your telephone service to make sure that their rules allow you to run this kind of contest; and that they would be technically able to remit the payments that you are asking for to you.

There are companies that specialize in running online contests; to find those, type in "online contests" in Google. Those companies may be able to provide you with some guidance on how to do this.

Good luck.