Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions
10033880

Does Washington State have a non-compete

Does Washington State have a non-compete agreement law and if so, what RCW or WAC would I look under for more information?

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

I'm a Washington state licensed attorney and have never heard of a non-compete agreement law or WAC. There are, of course, many many cases. I think they're all handled based on contract law.

If you tell me a bit more about the situation I can do a better job of helping you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The situation I am researching involves a company that hires a software engineer to specially desighn new software for the company's use. The company wishes to enter into a non-compete agreement with the software engineer. Currently the only thing I have found that comes close is RCW 19.108.020 or RCW 19.108.050. I have look under Chapter 19.108 REW: Uniform trade secrets act and am not quite sure if this would apply. Thank you.

What would help is if I knew whether the software engineer is asked to sign the non-compete at the time of hiring or after he or she is already working there. Then I can look up some cases for you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The company requests the software engineer to sign the non-compete prior to their accepting him to work for them. They are afraid he will utilize the program he writes for them for a competitor of theirs.

OK, thanks. That kind of request is extremely common and is allowed. If the non-compete is really outrageous then a court may throw it out when the employee leaves the company and wants to work somewhere else.

Here is a link written by an excellent WA state employment trial attorney that may answer some of your questions. I am on a listserv with her and I consider her one of the experts in Washington: http://djillpugh.typepad.com/employment_law_blog/2006/02/are_noncompete_.html

I have a feeling that the blog will answer any questions you may have. If it does, please click "accept." If not, please write again.

Take care,

Jane

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you. The information I was seeking is contained in the blog you referred me to. I do not see an "accept" button
I think I clicked the wrong thing at my end. I've been at this all day and am getting tired. :)