Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions
10033880

I own a small business, a hair salon. I have a staff of 13 ...

I own a small business, a hair salon. I have a staff of 13 independent contractors, each on a year lease. One staff member fell very far behind on her rent payments. I agreed to let her sign a 6 month lease instead of a year.....she still fell behind on her payments. As stated in her lease, I gave her 10 days notice and terminated her lease. Also, as stated in the lease, she is responsible for all monies owed, and legal action would take place if not paid, at her cost. My question is, what legal route do I need to take to recoup this money? She owes $717.00. I don't want to run up a big legal bill if she can't even pay her rent.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Your best course of action, as you may suspect, is Small Claims Court. If you need information on how to get started, please let me know what state you're in.

I'll be looking forward to your reply.

Jane Doe, Deer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I live in Idaho....Ada County.

You can sue up to $4000.00 in Small Claims Court in Idaho, so the amount won't be a problem.

You need to attach every piece of paper you have as exhibits when you file and serve your complaint.

Before you do this, offer her a payment plan - even a small amount per month is better than nothing. Don't forget interest!

Anyway, to file in Small Claims Court: The information is on this website, but you have to scroll down: http://www.isc.idaho.gov/material.htm

You can also read additional helpful information from this website: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/small_id.html

Do you need further assistance? If not, please click "accept" so I can be paid.

Thanks!

Jane