Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions

I wish to start a website that reads childrens ...

Customer Question

I wish to start a website that reads children's stories. I would read some of my own works, and already established children's stories like Dr. Suess or The Bearenstein Bears. No money would be exchanged. I would just like children to be able to hear the written word being read.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for writing to me. What an interesting idea! I will need just a little bit more information before I can respond:

What is your question? Is it whether this is legal or not? My concern is that there could be a copyright violation for reading books you did not write. Have you considered working with any organizations for people with visual impairments and get their help in making this happen?

I'll look forward to your response!

BTW, sometimes there can be a delay of many hours before I can get back to you. Be patient; I won't forget you, and I can usually respond within no more than 8 hours.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, Merry, I hit the return when I was typing my question. Actually, my "question" was, is it a copyright issue to read someone elses work, even if you acknowledge this is for entertainment purposes only and books by such and such author can be purchased at a local book store? Copyright issue is my concern. I have read for the blind. However, it was philosophy, ancient history and other college material. Thanks for your answer, and I look forward to your reply.
It is a potential copyright/license issue. Would it be feasible for you to obtain permission from the publishers prior to reading the books on "air?" I don't want to see you get into trouble for such a wonderful service.