Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience

I have had a lawyer firm calling me, and I just got off the ...

I have had a lawyer firm calling me, and I just got off the phone with, statng that I was a lier and being taped stating that I knew where my husbands brother was and was basically saying that I was covering up for him and that they were in their right to harass me and my residence for my husbands brother and his whereabouts. What can I do about this situation?

Dear Ms. Garcia:

What state are you in?

Why is this law firm trying to locate your husband's brother?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anne_C's Post: Texas, and in the messages they leave they say it is an attempt to collect a debt. We have been military I told him and we have never lived around him accept when he came last summer to live with us because he was kicked out of his house in Michigan. He was kicked out of our house after a week and a half. Don't know where he went.

Dear Ms. Garcia:

What you are describing violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), which is available here: The next time the law firm calls, tell them to stop contacting you. If the firm continues to do so, you can report them to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The contact information is in the FDCPA publication.

It may violate the Texas Debt Collection Practices Act as well. The Consumer Protection Division of the Texas Attorney general may be able to take a complaint for you. Here is their website:

Here is a website with more information on both the FDCPA and TDCPA:

In addition, some states have laws against unauthorized audio recording of conversations. I don't believe Texas is one of them, but if the law firm was calling from a state that prohibits such recording (California is one of them), they would be violating that state's law.