Anne_C
Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience
7775950

What exceptions does colorado law have when it comes

What exceptions does colorado law have when it comes to the employment-at-will doctrine? Do I have rights if i feel i was wrongfully terminated or terminated for no reason, when they are still looking for help?

DearCustomer

In an at-will employment state, any employee can be terminated at any time for any reason that is not against the law or discriminatory, or because of harassment based on discrimination. A reason that is against the law would include, for example, an employee being terminated because they refused to illegally dispose of hazardous waste. A discriminatory reason, or harassment because of a discriminatory reason, arises from a termination because an employee is in a protected class. A protected class includes race, religion, national origin, and so on. More information about that is available at www.eeoc.gov.

That being said, there are exceptions to at-will employment. Those include:

1. An employment contract that states or implies an employee will be terminated only for cause;
  2. A union agreement, which would be at issue if you are a member of a union;
  3. Government employees in some jobs;
  4. Certain tenured educational professionals;
  5. An employment manual that creates a relationship other than an at-will relationship. For example, some employment manuals state that an employee can only be terminated for good cause, and then, only if the employer has followed certain warning procedures.

Other than that, an employer does have a right to terminate an employee, even if it leaves the job open and the employer has to hire a new employee.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thats what I found out from my friend whos in law school. thank you
You are welcome.