Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions

My husband signed a contract that had the word ...

My husband signed a contract that had the word "franchise" all over it. They even designated an area that he could advertise in meaning that he couldn''t advertise in any other area so that they owner wouldn''t have cometition in his area. We have since found out that the business is not registered even prior to the AZ franchise law change and they are not wanting to refund our $1000 initial investment. They are now saying that due to the new franchise law in AZ they were going to re-word the contract to say "business opportunity". Are they allowed to just up and change a contract from what was initially written up? They did let us out of the contract as far as not having to pay the additional $2000 that was initially agreed upon. Do we have a leg to stand on as far as insisting that we get refunded the $1000? Please help.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you do have a leg to stand on. You can either take them to Small Claims Court or file a complaint with the state of Arizona, or both.

Which would you like further information on?